Wednesday, February 5, 2014

On genius...



I know a number of friends who have had mixed reactions to Walter Isaacson's highly readable and well written tale of Steve Jobs, but I am on page 346 (just about a quarter way through) and loving it. As far as I am concerned he was a genius and geniuses cannot do their work constrained and conformed by the norms of society. Here is just one of the passages that inspires me (in the writing and content):

"Jobs felt that design simplicity should be linked to making products easy to use. Those goals do not always go together. Sometimes a design can be so sleek and simple that a user finds it intimidating or unfriendly to navigate."

I think that sentiment can be equally applied to modern home design which should always be careful to marry the sleek with the user friendly. I am lucky enough to work with a large group of designers who do that!



No comments:

Post a Comment