Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Alpaca 101


In designing and producing my new collection, which features alpaca rugs created by my wonderful artisan team in Peru, I was reminded again how amazing and luxurious alpaca is.  And how much I have loved working with this fiber for almost 10 years.

So here are some fun facts about alpaca fiber:
  • It is comparable to cashmere in fineness, to silk in smoothness and softer than cotton.
  • It is an exceptionally strong fiber.  Stronger than mohair and three times stronger than sheep's wool.
  • It has excellent insulating and thermal qualities.  It is warmer than goose down and seven times warmer than sheepskin.
  • It is non-itch, hypoallergenic, fade resistant and the natural oils in the fibers repel dirt and dust.
For more information specific to the alpaca used in my rugs, please visit my website.

No comments:

Post a Comment