Monday, May 16, 2011

Contrast for Balance

What I love best in an interior, and is often hardest to achieve, is a successful balance of new and old.  Shiny modern with worn down super textural antique.  I recently returned from a trip which combined business with pleasure (also my favorite combination!) where I saw my mum.  I was reminded of how well she achieves this balance in her 16th century flat in the law courts of Lincoln's Inn in central London.  





A late 18th century metal lock sits side by side with a contemporary and bold piece.  The lock was bought in Syria while we were living in Beirut and the intriguing work of contemporary art is by award winning British ceramicist, Katherine Morling.













And here is my mum, still as beautiful and elegant as she was at 20 in the picture behind her.  She is wearing a ceramic lock and chain, again by Katherine Morling.

No comments:

Post a Comment