Tuesday, June 22, 2010

PERU JOURNAL, #1

Spare me from Starbucks!

For me, the whole point of traveling, or the pleasure of travel, is to experience different things. Obviously in our global world this gets harder and harder. Stepping off the plane in the Lima airport I was looking forward to my usual freshly squeezed naranja/piƱa juice, queso y Jamon croissant and a cup of hot mate de coca. So I was very disappointed as I reached the top of the escalator to be confronted by a Starbucks, which I'm sure was not there in January when I was in Peru. No surprise, they have several in Lima proper together with Hooters, but I immediately felt as if I was back in the US instead of on another Peruvian adventure. (And I have to confess the temptation for an espresso fix was strong...but not that strong!)

No comments:

Post a Comment