Monday, March 15, 2010

Cosmic Ketchup

I am often struck by how things happen in groups and in cycles. I'm sure there is some mathematical reason for it and we all talk about it in different ways. In England, for instance, where wet weather is a fact of life, we refer to this by saying "it never rains but it pours" or as a friend calls it "the ketchup factor" (remember how ketchup used to stick in a bottle and then come out in a big unexpected gulp?).



A typical product cycle can take a year to really take hold, but what strikes me is when products that I have had out for several years, which sold a lot for awhile but then slipped off radar, suddenly and for no apparent reason, come back in favor. I may not sell one design for a year and then in one week I received a number of orders for the same thing from entirely different areas of the country. I always remember, several years ago, the day that I decided to stop doing hand-embroidered pillows, I received an order for over 50 for a hotel project and they have been selling well ever since!

As I write this, my hand-knotted alpaca rugs - so organic, luxurious and fluffy, are spurting out of the cosmic ketchup bottle!

 Detail from my Ripple alpaca rug


No comments:

Post a Comment