Monday, January 11, 2010

Airports as portals to adventure


Recently I was at JFK, picking up my mother, who was visiting from England. I love airports, especially those with the prospect of international travel. I love waiting at arrivals, seeing people come out from all different destinations: huge families from India with toppling luggage cards, couples from some warm climate arriving with tans and shorts - determined to preserve their vacations as long as possible as they drag their luggage out into the New York freeze. I want to talk to all of them about their adventures! I have promised myself that one day I will turn up at an airport, look up at the departure board (like George Clooney in "Up in the Air") and just pick a place to go.

1 comment:

  1. this made me smile because i remember traveling with you a couple of times. once i made the "mistake" of trying to say something to you right as we were taking off and was promptly hushed as "this was your favorite part." it was a great lesson about being in the moment and i've savored every take off ever since. thank you.
    - L
    p.s. hi stranger. just thought of you today and found this.

    ReplyDelete